Find out about the benefits of quitting
Quitting isn't easy, but when you see the drastic improvements to your life and health, you'll want to get your action plan going as quickly as you can.
The damage that smoking causes to your body is horrible, and your secondhand smoke can also cause problems for everybody else too.
Smoking is unattractive and costs you loads of money. Just imagine your smokefree future - feeling great and having that extra money in your pocket.
How will my health benefit?
- You will reduce your risk of developing illness, disability or death caused by cancer, heart or lung disease.
- You will reduce your risk of gangrene or amputation caused by circulatory problems.
- You will protect the health of those around you by not exposing them to secondhand smoke. See the facts about secondhand smoke.
- You will reduce the chances of your children suffering from bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma attacks, meningitis and ear infections. Quitting makes a huge difference to you & your family.
- You will improve your fertility levels and your chance of a healthy pregnancy and baby.
- You will improve your breathing and general fitness. See how quickly you'll notice the benefits of quitting.
- You will enjoy the taste of food more.
"I've given up for 17 weeks now. I'm proud of myself and the best thing is being able to do more exercise and not waking up with a sore chest anymore."
- Sian-Marie, 20-30 a day for 13 years
How will my lifestyle improve?
- You will save money - as much as several hundred pounds a month, if you're a heavy smoker. Use the Cost Calculator to find out exactly how much.
- You will no longer smell of stale tobacco.
- The appearance of your skin and teeth will improve.
- You will feel more confident in social situations - you won't be worrying about the secondhand smoke you create anymore.
- As a non-smoker, you may even find you get approached more often by potential new friends and partners when out socialising.
- Your home and car will smell fresh and is likely to maintain its value for a longer time.
- You will reduce the risk of fire in your home and may pay lower insurance premiums.
"The NHS Smokefree Facebook page was absolutely brilliant. I used to log-in five, six, even 10 times a day in first week or two, and it really helped. After quitting, I feel good, I feel proud. I've saved lots of cash, after the first month I treated myself to a lovely facial."
- Lisa, 15 a day for 27 years
Find out more about how smoking affects your health by using our interactive body tool.