Most smokers you speak to on the phone will already want to stop smoking. Many will have tried before and some may have already used a stop smoking service. The guides in this section will help you deal with a range of scenarios.
When following up referrals from healthcare professionals, the national helpline, or locally run events, it’s important that you respond as quickly as possible (ideally within 1-2 days) to keep the client’s motivation high. A friendly chat will help them stay enthusiastic and hopeful about finally stopping smoking for good.
When speaking to a new client on the phone:
- Explain the role of your service – give details of how and where smokers can get support
- Give encouragement and build confidence, particularly if they’ve tried to quit before
- Arrange an appointment for them to see an adviser, or refer them to their local pharmacy
- Gather and confirm contact details and get permission for when and how they’d like to be contacted in the future
- If appropriate, discuss stop smoking medicines and check if they have a quit date planned
Making every call count
A telephone skills DVD has been produced which includes two short films on ‘managing calls effectively’ and’ ten top tips for telephone engagement’. The films would be ideal to use as refresher training for existing staff or new members of the team. The films will be available on the site soon.
LOCAL TOOLKIT – TEMPLATES